Yield: 5 full-sized burgers
1 cup mashed black beans
1 cup pureed winter squash
½ cup onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp garlic powder
2 tsp fresh parsley (or ¾ tsp dried)
? tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Mash black beans in a large bowl. Using a food processor, puree winter squash until smooth. Add squash to beans and set aside.
- Over medium heat, sauté onion until tender and near-translucent, adding garlic towards the end to prevent burning.
- Season sautéed mixture with garlic powder, parsley, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Stir to coat and add mixture to beans and squash.
- Add oats and egg to other ingredients and mix until well-combined.
- Roll mixture into five balls and flatten with the palm of your hand to form patties.
- Preheat skillet over medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon of oil, and cook burgers for a few minutes on each side, until cooked through.
(Source: Peas and Crayons, edited by GMFTS)